2019 Word of the Year (plus some others)

It's a new year, and time for my new word.  For the past several years, I have picked one word each year to be the lens through which I view my world.  Hopefully it helps me make choices that guide my life in the direction I want to be going.  I know there are plenty of people that make New Year's resolutions, but apparently, only 8% of resolutions are kept.  That sounds pretty depressing to me.  I'm more of a goal kinda girl.  And this whole word thing works really well for me.  I remember picking SIMPLIFY one year.  And 2 years ago, (although I never posted about it!), my word was REST.

REST was a hard one for me.  I don't feel like I do it well.  I like to be on the move.  And doing. Always doing.  But that was one I felt God had laid on my heart.  I didn't know why at the time.  And I don't know that I can say I did a stellar job at it, but as time as gone on, I know why it was needed.  After 9 years of helping with the MOMS ministry at our church, I stepped down, not knowing what would be next. But my husband wisely told me I probably shouldn't make any new commitments.  Even if the commitment would be a good one.  Just because something is good doesn't mean it is best.  And so I followed that advice.  It's been good for me.  Just rest.  Breathe.  Have some white space on the calendar for once.

Because next up was WHOLEHEARTED.  Yep, time to jump back in!  Well, in some ways, as the year started, I still felt like I was in the midst of REST. It didn't totally start until May when MOMS ended.  And although I intended to be wholehearted in whatever I started last January, I also felt it had been laid on my heart as a reminder of how to take on the next chapter in where God was leading.  I expected that next chapter to start somewhere around May of last year.  And it did.  We became officially licensed as a foster family in May.  And let me tell you, it requires a wholehearted commitment to do it well.  At least in my opinion.  The kiddos in care didn't ask to be there.  The adults in their lives made choices that resulted in the kids ending up where they have.  They still deserve someone to love them wholeheartedly.  To care for their every need.  To let them know they matter and God has big things in store for them.   We have chosen to only take infants because that's what we feel God has called our family to for this season.  We currently have baby #4 with us and she's a sweetheart. 

But this next year, my word is ANCHOR.  It came to me mid-December. And with it, an interesting thought.  When ANCHOR came to mind, it was with the reminder that the anchor on a ship doesn't stop a ship from moving at all, but it stops it from drifting.  It holds the ship in place so it doesn't accidently drift away from where it should be.  But the ship will still sway and move some.  It can still be tossed by the waves.  But it's not going to drift farther out to sea or end up way down the coast.  I want to remember that through the storms of life, Jesus is my ANCHOR.  He's not going to prevent the storms.  There will be waves to ride.   But if I choose to stick to him as my anchor, I'm not going to drift. 

Already this January, I've seen why God dropped this word in my lap.  I need an ANCHOR so that I can walk through the hard stuff with friends around me.  It's a challenging season over here.  But God's got it all.  And as long as He's my ANCHOR, all is well with my soul.



"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."             Hebrews 6:19

Comments

Popular Posts