Mac N Cheese

I would say my family is pretty middle of the road with the food we eat.  I try to feed my family in healthy ways, but I still use boxed mixes and "instant" food.  In an attempt to be slightly healthier in our habits, I'm trying to get away from Sweet Pea's beloved mac-n-cheese in the famous blue box.  Lately, I've been experimenting with various recipes.  Tonight, everyone seemed to agree that my latest attempt was a winner.  So that I don't forget how I made it, here's the recipe I came up with:



Mac-N-Cheese

1/2 box of elbow macaroni (NOT whole wheat like I usually use)
1c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1c medium cheddar cheese, shredded (plus a little extra if it doesn't look cheesy enough)
1.5 T butter
1c milk
1/2 t ground mustard
1.5 T flour


Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the package.  Drain. In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the flour.  Stir and cook for one minute.  Add the ground mustard and mix well, then add the milk and heat until it boils.  Stir constantly.  As soon as it boils, add all the cheese, mix well.  Add the cooked macaroni and leave on low if it looks like it still needs to cook down a bit.  Add salt and pepper (or red pepper flakes) to taste.  You can also add a dash of bread crumbs on top if you like.

There you go!  Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts