Stay little, sweet baby

I do some of my best thinking in the shower. Maybe it’s because the water bearing down is the closest I’m getting to a massage anytime soon. Or maybe it’s because there are no little inquisitive minds asking a million questions while I try to multitask through a million other things. Whatever the case, the thinking is good. And in the past month or two,  my thoughts turned to upcoming changes for my family.

My kiddos have grown so quickly. I mean, the days are long. Don’t get me wrong. And some days feel like eons ago. But in another sense, I have no idea how they grew so quick. Have I really been a mama nine years?! Coming up on ten? How did that happen?  It also reminded me of times over the years that I have silently wished there was a way to keep my babies little. I don’t imagine I’m the first mama to wish it. I remember wishing they could stay itty bitty, sweet, and snuggly. That I could freeze time with them as babies. I remember talking to God and clarifying that freezing time would be best because I didn’t wish for a child who grew in size and age, but still had all the mental or physical characteristics of an infant. Although I would love that child just as much as the ones my kiddos have grown to be, I can’t say I’ve ever met a mom who wished for that. 

But you know, it’s always fascinating how God works. In a strange sort of way, he seems to be answering that prayer. Who would have ever thought I would be submitting everything needed to have extra babies in my home. Only staying a handful of months at the most. Never to grow big, eat at the table, run around. Always to stay little and snuggly.  And yet, that's exactly what we feel God has called us to.  Foster care.  There are so many little ones who need to be loved.  They need someone who will love unconditionally and teach them how to bond well.  They need someone who will fight for them when they can't fight for themselves.  They need someone praying over them, and their parents.  So I find myself here.  With a nursery ready, and boxes of clothes in various sizes.  Ready to love on someone for a season, while their own mom and dad are sorting out life.  Ready for a baby that will hopefully go home when it grows a bit bigger.  Leaving my arms ready for another little baby who needs the exact same thing a handful of months down the road.  

Comments

Popular Posts