Butternut Squash Soup

I tried a new recipe this week.  Butternut Squash Soup!  You may remember what the girls were up to as I cooked it up....  (you can read about it here.)  I combined a few recipes for my own creation and was quite happy with how it turned out!  Here's my recipe:

Butternut Squash Soup



3 lbs unpeeled butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 large onion
1 garlic bulb
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp dried thyme
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed
8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped

Directions
1. Cut squash into eight pieces.  Place cut side up in a 1-in deep baking pan.  Cut 1/4 inch off the tops of the onion and garlic points and put them on the pan as well.
2. Brush everything on the pan with the olive oil and sprinkle with thyme.  Cover tightly with foil.
3. Bake for 1.5 to 2 hrs at 350.  Uncover and let stand until lukewarm
4.  Remove skin from onions, garlic and squash.  Combine all vegetables, as well as apple cubes, broth and cream in a large bowl.
5. Puree in small amounts in blender or food processor until smooth, then transfer to a large saucepan.  Add salt and pepper (and thyme if you forgot to add it before like me!)
6. Heat through, but do not boil.
7. Garnish with bacon, or mix the bacon in.  Whatever suits your fancy.


I have to say, one of my favorite parts of making this soup was when I was prepping the squash and Honeygirl came into the kitchen.  She took one look at the baking pan and gasped, "You're cooking, cheese!"  I suppose squash does look kinda like cheddar.  And my girls sure do love cheddar cheese!  I think Honeygirl thought her dream had come true and we had started making our own at home. :)

Comments

Popular Posts