Kickin' Colds

I don't know about your family, but it seems like once fall arrives (at least according to the calendar), we all land our first colds.  Boo.  It seems like I've been hearing a lot about Elderberry Syrup, so I thought it was worth a try this year.  The first little bottle I bought was a kids version that was black cherry flavored.  Yum.  Sweet Pea thought it was great!  She kept asking for medicine, which at least told me she thought it tasted good!  And actually, after a few short days, her cold symptoms were minimal.  Yay!  So when Honeygirl caught a cold on Sweet Pea's heels, I gave her some as well.  Unfortunately, since we had bought such a small bottle, we had to buy another one.  And this one wasn't flavored.  Let's just say she was less than thrilled with the flavor. And when a few days later I got a cold of my own, I discovered that I'm not a fan of the elderberry syrup we bought either!  It seems to do the job - our cold symptoms were minimal after about three days.  Mostly we just ended up with coughs that lingered a bit.  Otherwise, no runny/stuffy noses or sore throats.  Success!

But just today I saw another possible remedy:  Honey and Cinnamon.  Has anyone tried it?  Because that sounds a heck of a lot more yummy to me!  Here's what the site said:

Honey and Cinnamon to Cure Colds
Did you know that a teaspoon of honey (local - raw is best) and a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon will usually knock out a cold within a day or two? Take twice a day for 3 days for best results. Both honey and cinnamon are antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal. 
Sounds good to me!  I know what we'll be trying next time a cold hits our house.  If anyone has tried this, I'd love to hear your experience!

Comments

Popular Posts