My first loaf of bread

Anyone ever made their own bread?  Me neither.  Until today.

Well, unless you count the yummy kinds like banana bread.  Or zucchini bread.  Or friendship bread.  I've made all those before.  But never "plain" bread.  The kind that I actually need to have on hand.  So I decided to go for it and try to make a loaf for the first time.

See, one year for Christmas, my mom got a bread maker that I'm pretty sure she was excited about.  But I never remember having any bread from it.  So eventually when I got married and had my own house, she decided to downsize.  I gladly inherited the bread maker with grand plans of making my own bread.  Which of course never happened.  So when someone on freecycle.com  was looking for a bread maker last year, I gave mine away.

Then I got to visit a friend I hadn't seen in three years and she commented that she makes bread for her family in her bread machine.  So much better than store bought.  Saves money.  So yummy.  Of course.

So when I was garage-saling a couple weeks ago and happened upon a bread maker, I got ambitious.  Maybe I could try this.  And do you know what the lady was asking for her bread maker?  One dollar.  One dollar!  Definitely a deal I couldn't pass up.  So the bread maker came home with me.  I even bought ingredients for my first loaf of bread.  The ingredients have taken up residence on my counter and the bread machine remained in the garage where it settled when we got home from garage-saling.  Oops.  But this morning, I decided it was time.  Time to try this thing out.

So as I type, the minutes are slowing ticking down on my bread machine.  In a mere 3.5 hrs, I should have a house that smells fabulous and a lovely loaf of whole wheat bread that I actually made myself.  I'm excited to see how it turns out.  Ooh!  Noise is coming from the machine!  This is a good sign.  At least I know my $1.00 machine functions.  A good start.  Now we'll see how the final product turns out.  Wish me luck!


Comments

  1. Me, me...I've made bread from my bread maker. Not only does it smell great, it tastes amazing. I am not a baker to if I can do it, anyone can do it. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! The bread turned out decent. It's time to try to make another loaf already. :) I think there are few things I need to tweak, but overall, I'd call it a success!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts