Potty Trials V.2.3

Hard to believe, but Tuesday I started potty-training with Sweet Pea!  When I started the journey with Honeygirl, it never occurred to me that it would be the long process it has been.  I am hopeful the experience will be different in a positive way for Sweet Pea, but I need to go into it prepared for the worst, I think.

Because Sweet Pea is younger than Honeygirl was when we started with her, we needed to get smaller underwear for her.  Did you know that although they are only sold online, you can get Gerber trainers in an 18 month size?  I lucked out and was able to score 12 pairs for super cheap by getting them from another mama who didn't end up ever using them.  Yay for me!

With Honeygirl, we put her in 2T Gerber trainers and went for it.  If I wanted a waterproof option, I added some plastic pants over the top.  Have you ever seen plastic pants?  In spite of the huge strides in cloth diapering and potty training products out there, these have managed to NOT evolve.  Good grief.  They are super poofy and crinkly.  You can hear every little move the poor kiddo makes.  This time, I'm going to do things a little differently.  I found a great tutorial on Pinterest for embellishing Gerber trainers, and decided to give it a go.

Basically, you start by flipping the trainer inside out and pinning a piece of wax paper to the extra thick middle area.  After outlining this area, you now have a pattern to use.  With the wax paper pattern, cut out four layers of flannel to add to the inside for extra absorbency.

 Sewing the flannel inside doesn't need to be anything fancy.  If I had a serger, I would have used that.  But since I don't, I just used a zig-zag stitch to sew my flannel into the same seams that edge the extra padded area.  I didn't even turn the edges under (we'll see how it holds up over time in the wash!).
 After I had the four layers of flannel sewn in, I cut out a matching piece of PUL fabric I had picked up at Joann Fabrics.  I bought 1/4 of a yard, which would be plenty for over a dozen trainers.  Just like on the inside, I used a zig-zag stitch without turning any edges under and sewed it into the same seams that showed through from the other side.

I think they turned out rather cute!  Sweet Pea has tried them on and seems to like them.  She has even tested their absorbency.  And it turns out that even with a substantial amount of fluid, the floor stayed dry as long as she stayed standing!


Comments

Popular Posts